Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Garland: 1974
I was expelled from the Western Grove, Arkansas consolidated school in the spring of 1936, when I was 13 years of age, for refusing to let the school superintendent whip me for misconduct.

Irene: 1974
We really had a lot of ups and downs with that bus and school business.  I usta be glad to see school time come, though, cause it made the folks ease-up on the home chores just a little.  Of course, all the water carrying, cow-hunting, milking, wood-chopping, and carrying still had to be done, school or not.  But the gardening, hoeing, planting, gathering, hay-bailing, etc. was usually behind us by September.  In a way, school sorta cramped my style because I had to come out of Mama's old feed sack dress and put on shoes and try to keep from whistling in study hall, but all in all I loved it.
Glen: 1974
Garvin, just older than I, were close in age and so were together quite a bit, and usually scrapping about something.  I remember one time when we were down by the pond trying to reach for persimmons.  We had reached all we could and I decided to jump up and grab a whole limb.  But I didn't notice that Garvin was standing right under it and I brought that limb down with a sharp rap on his head...I still remember the fight that followed!  Another vivid memory I have is that of carrying water from Wire Springs.  I also remember gathering the wood.  Once when I had wasted the whole day and was sent out late in the evening to get the wood, I  tried to fool my mother into thinking I had a big load.  I kinked my elbow up real tight so it looked like I was carrying an armload--but she knew better! I remember going out to get the cows...they could be a mile away in any direction.  I can recall the magic of a smashed tobacco can, put on a stick, and used to push a hoop along a dusty road.

No comments: