Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Irene: July 2008
  I understand that mama married at age 15 and started having children almost immediately.
She could not have had too much schooling, but was able to read & write quite well.
She was beautiful & cared deeply for all of us.  Joe, she thought the world of you & was proud of anything you did.  As a matter of fact, we all considered you OUR BABY. We fought over which one of us got to hold you or help you in any way.  It's a wonder you didn't end up being spoiled rotten!!  I would like to think I could be half the mother she was.  She was devastated when Papa died, but was determined to keep the family together and was insulted when Grandpa Clifton referred to us as Orphans thereafter.  I'm sorry you don't remember all the good times we had growing up.  I only wish somebody was smart enough to write a book about our struggles and blessings.  Just remember that we are unique and exceptional in that we have been able to keep in touch to keep close and have missed the greatest blessing--that of having the love and care of family throughout the years.

No comments: